I have a favourite protein bar but unfortunately it is no longer available as the company found that their supplier's standards were not up to their own. Everything was safe and totally acceptable for human consumption but the company I use has very high standards. They require all suppliers to meet their high level so instead of continuing to sell their most popular bar, they put it on hold until they can find a supplier that matched their standards (to which I am grateful).
However, I have been craving a protein bar that is minimally processed, tastes yummy, has no junk additives or sweeteners and provides the body with the protein, fat and fibre it needs to work at it's optimal level.
So, of course, I created my own!
What you need:
1/2 cup honey
1 Tbsp coconut oil
3/4 cup cashew/almond butter
I use this one!
1/4 cup ground cashews
1/4 cup plant-based vanilla protein powder
I use this one!
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 cups puffed brown rice
2/3 cups vegan chocolate chips
Unsweetened coconut flakes
What you do:
Line a 8x9" pan with parchment paper.
Place honey in a small pot and heat until it starts to bubble and remove from heat.
Melt the coconut oil in the honey and place in a bowl with the nut butter and mix until smooth.
Add the ground cashews, powder and salt and stir until smooth. Add the puffed rice until evenly distributed.
Pack the mixture in the pan and place in freezer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips on the same pan.
Take the bars out and coat with the melted chocolate and sprinkle with coconut flakes and place back in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Take the parchment paper out and cut evenly into bars (makes 12-14).
These do not last in our house but is a great way to show your body and self love! By fuelling your body with whole nutritious foods, you are showing yourself LOVE!
Need some help in the nutrition department?
I'm looking to help one person this month to coach one-on-one and create a personalized healthy eating plan that fits into their lifestyle. No diets, pills, wraps, fads, endless prep times, etc. but a whole living life plan.
This is for you if:
- you struggle with healthy eating and have limited time
- find yourself emotionally eating or eating when not really hungry
- guilt trip yourself about your health (and want to drop that crap!)
- believes that spending time and money on themselves is key to growth in any aspect of their life
- feels simple guidance on nutrition would help them
- wants a sample meal plan and recipes to help guide them
- can be honest with me and themselves to improve
- understands mindset is a huge part of their health journey
- wants free workouts as an added bonus